4 TIPS FOR LOOKING FOR A THERAPIST:
1. Talk with several people and see who you feel comfortable talking with. See who listens well and makes you feel understood even on the phone.
2. Change is hard! You can do it, with help. Make up your mind to change.
3. Do you want someone active who talks with you, or someone who does more listening and doesn’t talk much? Do you want someone who is more concrete with homework and focused on behaviors, or someone more focused on feelings?
4. Remember that you are the consumer and have the right to say yes or no. Keep talking with different therapists until you find what you want. Take the leap!
4 TIPS FOR PEOPLE WITH ADDICTIONS:
1. Avoid situations where you may be triggered.
2. Tell some people you trust that you are working on this. Get support.
3. Take good care of yourself. Exercise, eat healthy food, get good rest, and all that. DON’T BLAME YOURSELF.
4. Think about, talk about and maybe write about what you want for yourself and your life.
4 TIPS FOR FAMILY MEMBERS OF PEOPLE WITH ADDICTIONS:
1. Take good care of yourself. Exercise, eat healthy foods, get good rest, and all that.
2. Pay attention to yourself. Learn what you need, what you like and where you want to go with your life. Work on setting some goals for yourself. NO goals are too small. DON’T BLAME YOURSELF.
3. Tell some people that you trust what you are going through and what you are trying to do. Get support.
4. Think about, talk about and maybe write about what you want for yourself and for your life. Take the focus off the person who is using, and put the focus on yourself. You can only change yourself.